Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Transformers

It is interesting to see someone change right before your eyes. As I watched Suzie gallop on a horse along the beach in Essaouira and as we conversed about our lives while drinking Sangria and watching the sunset, I thought to myself, “who is this girl?” She is not the same person I met 4 weeks ago. However, during our Moroccan wedding adventure I finally saw her. I did not have to ask who she was anymore. She had a smile so big that it most certainly was the biggest and brightest in the room. She let go and allowed herself to be swept up in the moment, enjoying the culture and the experience that is too breathtaking for me to even explain. I knew in that moment she was transformed into a new Suzie. Not completely different, but different enough that she seemed new in my eyes.

The funny thing is that while you watch everyone else transform you don’t realize when you are being changed by your experiences. As I spoke about Suzie’s transformation, Jelani reminded me that my new vision of Suzie is a transformation for myself. I realized that in order for me to see Suzie, I mean really see her; I needed to let go of my preconceived notions about people and allow myself to see her and accept her. In doing so, I was able to see her change and say “wow”. So, we have both transformed in different ways. I appreciate her making the shift and Jelani for pointing out my transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment