Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Essaouira Dreams

Throughout my travels to many countries and hundreds of cities, it is rare that I find a town that I want to settle down at. I have been to many cities in Morocco during this fellowship and none compare to Essaouira, a charming town with unique characteristics located off the coast of north-west Africa. This is the second time I have been here to this coastal town of about 30,000 people. Formally named Mogador by the Portuguese, Essaouira was put on the map because of its musical festival in the late 1990s. Since then, many Europeans have bought properties here as their retirement or vacation home.

The atmosphere in this town is unique and cannot be explained. Even the dogs and cats here look relaxed, in a Zen state of mind. It might be the coast, or the ocean breeze, or the people, or the blue sky, or the big giant donuts that they sell along the streets in the medina, or all of the above. What ever it is that makes this town unique, I am definitely coming back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment